I've been a fan of Freemind, and then Freeplane for many years, and they've become indispensable in many of my tasks at work. I've been looking for an Android version for a while and none I've found have been satisfactory--either they're ad supported, only offer a text-based tree view, require syncing to the cloud, or are commercial.
Here are some that I've investigated:
- Freemind Viewer Free (looks promising, but is ad supported)
- FreeMind Reader (text-based tree view only)
- DroidPlane (text-based tree view only)
- Mindomo (nice, but commercial)
I've decided to create my own GPL HTML5-based mind mapper, the first version of which can be found here: Mobile Mind Mapper. This is a very rudimentary version right now--you can only save maps by exporting the xml to a browser tab, but I'd be interested in feedback.
Some of my goals for this project are:
- Run on any web browser (mobile and desktop)
- Save to web browser "local storage"
- Support all features of Freemind mind maps, and eventually Freeplane mind maps
- Allow installation to the desktop, so it can appear to be a local app